Sunday, December 21, 2008

The twelve geology days of Christmas

Ho Ho bleedin' Ho!

As Christmas is rapidly approaching, here (belatedly) is one version of the geology twelve days of Christmas.

Happy Monkey!

On the first day of Christmas my true love sent to me, a gas field in the North Sea.

On the second day of Christmas my true love sent to me, two turbidites and a gas field in the North Sea.

On the third day of Christmas my true love sent to me, three trilobites, two turbidites, and a gas field in the North Sea.

On the fourth day of Christmas my true love sent to me, four phenocrysts, three trilobites, two turbidites, and a gas field in the North Sea.

On the fifth day of Christmas my true love sent to me, five fossil fish, four phenocrysts, three trilobites, two turbidites, and a gas field in the North Sea.

On the six day of Christmas my true love sent to me, six slickensides, five fossil fish, four phenocrysts, three trilobites, two turbidites, and a gas field in the North Sea.

On the seventh day of Christmas my true love sent to me, seven seismic waves, six slickensides, five fossil fish, four phenocrysts, three trilobites, two turbidites, and a gas field in the North Sea.

On the eighth day of Christmas my true love sent to me, eight echinoids, seven seismic waves, six slickensides, five fossil fish, four phenocrysts, three trilobites, two turbidites, and a gas field in the North Sea.

On the ninth day of Christmas my true love sent to me, nine nunnatacks, eight echinoids, seven seismic waves, six slickensides, five fossil fish, four phenocrysts, three trilobites, two turbidites, and a gas field in the North Sea.

On the tenth day of Christmas my true love sent to me, ten Turitellas, nine nunnatacks, eight echinoids, seven seismic waves, six slickensides, five fossil fish, four phenocrysts, three trilobites, two turbidites, and a gas field in the North Sea.

On the eleventh day of Christmas my true love sent to me, eleven laccoliths, ten turritellas, nine nunnatacks, eight echinoids, seven seismic waves, six slickensides, five fossil fish, four phenocrysts, three trilobites, two turbidites, and a gas field in the North Sea.

On the Twelfth day of Christmas my true love sent to me, twelve welded tuffs, eleven laccoliths, ten turritellas, nine nunnatacks, eight echinoids, seven seismic waves, six slickensides five fossil fish, four phenocrysts, three trilobites, two turbidites, . . . and a gas field in the North Sea.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful stuff -- but suggest you edit to change "slickenslide" to "slickenside." The way you've got it here makes it sound like that old lawn toy, the Slip 'N Slide from Wham-O.

    But, what the heck, it's as easy a typo to make as that notoriously common curator's typo, "musuem." Museum professionals, I happen to know, are overjoyed that someone finally came up with the spellchecker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fixed, thanks. Guilty of making a spelling error the first time and then cutting and pasting all the way down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Monkey to you and yours as well! Is this original? Very clever, but it would take a geologist to appreciate it fully. ;) Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry to use registration, but the site is plagued with link spanners. Please either sign in or send your comment by email and I'll add it to the site.